Online Games I'm Playing

What I have been listening to

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Not so traditional Holiday Movies

I know there are old favorites that get dusted off every year. We all know them so no reason to reiterate them. So I would like my first subject to be a light one. Even though, or because, politics and the world is driving me crazy, plus my Saturday shopping plans might be put on hold.

First is one that I would like everyone to see. Love Actually is a brilliant ensemble cast, with great storytelling, fantastic pace, and interesting characters. It takes place in the modern world so it becomes easy to get wrapped up in. One of my favorite movies of all time.

Less obvious would be The Lion in Winter. Great play as well if it is in your area. Additionally the made for tv 2003 version is very good along the 1968 movie. You can't beat Christmas Court in 1183!

The Holiday is a cute Christmas romantic comedy. Heart warming with a good over all feel to it. Even if it is a little quaint, who cares? Quaint and Christmas go together.


Serendipity is a movie that might not immediately come to mind as a Christmas movie. Let us just say it has John Cusack, Kate Beckensale, and Christmas undertones.

My last recommendation is The Family Stone. I don't like Sarah Jessica Parker, and am not a huge Dermont Mulroney fan either. But the it is well told, if a little heart breaking, and sort of reminds me what this time of year is really about. Family and being with those you love whether you are celebrating the birth of the son, or the return of the sun. It is a good movie about what is important in life.

I would however be remiss if i failed to mention two other odd movies with a seasonal theme. There is of course Die Hard in the action genre. Second I think more obtuse is 30 Days of Night. Though I do not remember if it is implicitly implied in the film, it would happen over the Christmas season. Just a bone to the action and horror fans out there ;)

What are some of your favorite holiday movies?

No comments:

Post a Comment