Online Games I'm Playing

What I have been listening to

Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Government doesn't work! Does it?

I started this post as a political discussion about health insurance reform, and to a smaller degree health care reform. I was starting to rant about not understanding how people don't get that such a large portion of our economy going to health insurance is not a good thing. I was going to visit Executive compensation and point to overall problems with corporations in America and abroad. As I( was doing this I was answering things I have heard people say time and again and almost immediately the voice of a friend and a very smart woman rang in my head.

"I'm against health care reform," she proclaimed when I broached the subject, "because the government doesn't work. It never does anything right." I was about to fly into the discussion armed with statistics, actual numbers, and percentages. But alias it wasn't to be, because she was running on an errand that I can completed only a few minutes before and our schedules both revolve around our respective children. And in a way I'm glad that I didn't get the chance.

Because the next day, on our way to school, listening to David Sirota get into it with a conservative caller about the facts of health insurance cost public vs. private. The caller kept yelling "Government never does anything right!" And I'm driving, talking to radio as Dave tries to get through to the caller that just repeats "Government never does anything right!" until he is disconnected for screaming repetitively. And as Dave wraps up why medicare is the government doing something right I can't help but say, 'Come on Dave! The perfect example is the simplest one. The roads are the best example of the government doing something right. Then later while waiting for my oldest to get out of school I was listening to Thom Hartmann, and texting friends & family, some professional talking head implied that the goverment didn't work in relationship to regulating something or other. That is when it all crystalized for me.

Does any one really believe that the Government does work? Look at the roads. I will grant you some states and some municipalities do it better than others. Then look at them work in concert with the Interstate system. Our roads is a modern miracle. Look internally. Most Americans use publicly provided utilities. Does the water come on? Does the sewage system take it away and clean it? How about the electric and gas? TV anyone? Though I agree somethings need better regulation in those concerns look at it. It works. It does it well. No matter which way you do it. Cable, satellite, over the air. Look at phone service, mobile and home. Hospitals, emergency services, educational institution, et. al. These things do not work for all despite the government, they work for all because of the government.

Believe it or not most of the modern conveniences that you take for granted as a basic right, was only going to be reserved for the few. It is the government that forces company to serve the public good, not companies doing it from their over flowing heart. It is due to government oversight regulation that our country became great. Robber Baron's just drain our resources, use up international good will, and attempt to enslave everyone. Just look at the nations that don't protect their people. Think of all those places without running water or education for anyone but the ultra rich. Think about how your life and that of your children would change.

So next time you think about saying it, or hear someone else say, "The government screws everything up!" Think about the road...

No comments:

Post a Comment